Would you believe me if I told you that you can still enjoy delicious desserts, without the unhealthy artificial sweeteners, even when you’re trying to cut back on your sugar intake? I know – it sounds too good to be true – but the truth is that there are plenty of sweet treats out there that you can make that don’t go overboard on the sugar. You may be eating more natural sugars or even a very small amount of regular cane sugar, but hey, everyone has to indulge sometimes.
Sugar Free Healthy Desserts
Here are 3 recipes for desserts you can eat without breaking your dietary goals:
Sugar Free Healthy Chocolate Cheesecake
It might be hard to believe, but yet, you can still enjoy this delicious cheesecake recipe with not a drop of added sugar! This recipe calls for Stevia, which is a healthy sugar substitute, but use any natural non-artificial sweetener that you like the best.
– 1 package sugar-free chocolate graham crackers (crushed)
– 1/3 cup butter, melted
– 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
– Cooking spray
– 1 packet of unflavoured gelatin or vegan alternative
– 1 Cup fat-free organic milk
– 2 1/2 packages cream cheese (low fat) (softened)
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 14 Tablespoons Stevia
– 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
– 5 sugar-free chocolate wafer bars (chopped)
1) Combine graham crackers, butter and cinnamon and stir well
2) Press this mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan, coating it with cooking spray before hand.
3) Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes, remove and let cool
4) Mix milk and gelatin in a small saucepan, cooking over low heat. Stir until the gelatin dissolves and let cool.
5) Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until it is creamy. Add vanilla, gelatin mixture, stevia and cocoa and continue beating until blended. Pour your mixture into the prepared crust.
6) Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. Top with wafers before serving.
Sugar Free Healthy Apple Pie
A great addition to a family dinner. You’ll have a little extra sugar with your apple juice, but be sure to look for a concentrate that doesn’t contain too much sugar, or better still, why not make your own!
– 4 cups sliced apples
– 1/2 cup apple juice concentrate
– 1 1/2-2 teaspoon tapioca, cornstarch or flour
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg or apple pie spice
– 2 crust pastries
1) Toss all ingredients together (except pastries). Place mixture in the crust and top with a second crust.
2) Seal edges of crust and cut a few slits in the top crust
3) Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes. Then, lower temperature to 325 and cook for another 35-45 minutes
4) Let cool and serve!
Sugar Free Healthy Chocolate Ice Cream
Nope, you don’t have to give up ice cream either! You can make this recipe with an ice cream maker or even just two plastic bags and a little ice and salt.
– 1 teaspoon plain gelatin or vegan alternative
– 2 1/2 cups low fat milk
– 1/2 cup nesquik sugar-free chocolate drink mix
– 1 cup drained plain yoghurt (strain 2 cups of yoghurt overnight and use the solid half that remains)
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– dash of salt
– Ice cream maker
1) Dissolve gelatin in 1/2 cup of milk by heating it in a small saucepan.
2) Place the saucepan in a bowl of ice water in order to cool the mixture to room temperature.
3) When cooled, pour this mixture into a blender.
4) Add remaining milk, nesquik, vanilla, yogurt and salt and blend until smooth.
5) Cover mixture and chill in the refrigerator
6) Blend for a few seconds before pouring in ice cream maker and freezing.
7) If you do not have an ice cream maker, you can place the mixture in a small sealed plastic bag and place that bag in a larger plastic bag filled with ice and salt. Shake until ice cream freezes.